Please select the links below to view the term dates for our school.
Please visit the Durham County Council website to view or download the school holidays dates for this academic year and next year for all community schools, special schools and voluntary controlled schools. Please note that voluntary aided (church) schools, foundation schools and academies may have set different dates and you should check with the school or academy to confirm their arrangements or view the PDF for schools not following the standard term and holiday dates.
School Holidays During Term Time
New Regulations for Taking Holidays in Term Time
The Department for Education has made amendments to the regulations which previously allowed Headteachers the discretion to grant holidays taken during term time. The new regulations come into force from 1st September 2013 and we have had to revise our school policy based upon this new government legislation which states, in summary, that:
- The current law does not give parents any entitlement to take their children out of school for a holiday during term time.
- Schools are no longer allowed to issue holiday request forms. Parents must now complete a request for leave of absence during term time form.
- Any application for leave of absence must only be in ‘exceptional’ circumstances and the Headteacher must be satisfied that the circumstances are ‘exceptional’ and warrant the granting of leave.
- In ‘exceptional’ circumstances, a request for absence must be made in advance, to the Headteacher, who will inform you of his/her decision prior to booking your holiday.
- If a request for leave is not authorised by the Headteacher and the pupil goes on holiday, the absence will be recorded as unauthorised, which then stays on a child’s permanent record.
We are required by law to report unauthorised absences to the Local Authority, who may issue a Fixed Penalty Notice, which means a parent may be fined by the Education Welfare Service. The regulations do stipulate that fixed penalty fines will be issued and from 1 September 2013 parents must pay £60 within 21 days or £120 within 28 days. I must also make parents aware that due to equalities legislation, fixed penalty notices will now be issued to all parents who have parental responsibility and whom can be traced. This means that both the Father and Mother of a child will receive separate fines, under the new regulations, and that each parent will incur a fine for each child. Please be aware that the proceeds from fixed penalty fines DO NOT go to the school.
Our ‘Request for Leave of Absence during term time’ form can be downloaded from our School Office section.
Our Attendance Policy is located in our School Policies section.
Please contact the school if you wish to discuss this with the Headteacher.
You may need a product like Adobe Reader (free download) to view our PDF documents on our website.