Welcome to our curriculum
The Curriculum is all the planned activities that the school organises in order to promote learning, personal growth and development.
At Willington Primary School, we aim to provide a broad and varied curriculum where children are given learning opportunities that challenge and inspire them to reach their full potential.
We have embedded the New National Curriculum, introduced in 2014, across our school. This encompasses a wide range of subjects: English, mathematics, science, computing, art and design, French, history, geography, physical education, music and religious education. Programmes of work are planned within the guidelines and requirements of the National Curriculum but teachers have developed exciting topics which connect some of these discrete subjects together. We believe children learn better through a simulating and imaginative curriculum which encourages curiosity and creativity. Our curriculum aims to engage pupils in their learning whilst developing knowledge and skills so they can achieve their very best.
Our Curriculum includes not only the formal requirements of the National Curriculum, but also the range of additional opportunities that the school organises in order to enrich the experiences of our children. This includes an every growing range of ‘Enjoyment and Enrichment’ opportunities available to our children across all year groups. For more information please see Educational visits and school clubs. We also have further information about Spiritual, Moral, Cultural Development as well as how we promote British values in our school.
Curriculum Long Term Plans
To find out more about the subjects in the curriculum please see the following Long Term Plans:
For more information regarding what each Year Group cover, please go to Our Classes section. If you would like further information about our curriculum, please speak to your child’s class teacher.
Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (SEND)
All pupils follow the National Curriculum at a level and a pace that is appropriate to their abilities. Our philosophy places SEND children at the heart of personalised learning and our curriculum is tailored to meet individual pupils needs. At times and when it is felt appropriate, modifications to the curriculum may be implemented. To successfully match pupil ability to the curriculum Willington Primary School remain committed to:
- A range of teaching and learning styles
- Differentiated learning materials
- Access to ICT and Technology
- Additional in class support
- Additional out of class support
- Many Enrichment and Enjoyment opportunities to stimulate and motivate learning
- Flexible groupings – including small group support work
- An innovative and supportive curriculum
- The appropriate use of rewards and sanctions
- A broad range of extra-curricular activities
- Assessment procedures that emphasise pupils’ strengths and achievements
- Applications during national testing at Key Stage 2 to obtain access arrangements as appropriate
We continually monitor and review our practice to make sure that we are meeting a child’s needs to the best of our ability. We do this by:
- Using daily assessments and formal testing to ensure that work is pitched at the right level
- Having termly pupil progress reviews, where teachers are held accountable for the amount of progress each child in their class is making and targets for achievement and attainment are set
- Evaluating and amending our planning in line with assessment evidence
- Evaluating and amending our interventions in line with assessment evidence
Click here to access further detailed information about SEND.
If you would like to discuss your SEND requirements in detail please contact the school to arrange an appointment.
You may need a product like Adobe Reader (free download) to view our PDF documents on our website.