Willington Primary School’s SEN Hub is an online newsletter to support parents and carers of children with special educational needs and disabilities (SEND).
What are the criteria for placement on the ALN Register?
Despite differentiated learning opportunities, reasons can include the pupil:
- Has a standardised score of < 70-95 on a National Test
- Makes little or no progress
- Has difficulty developing literacy and/or numeracy skills
- Has persistent Behaviour/Emotional/Social Difficulties despite behaviour management strategies or an individualised programme
- Makes little or no progress with sensory/physical difficulties despite specialist equipment and/or advice
- Makes little or no progress with communication/interaction despite a differentiated curriculum
- Has additional needs that can be met ‘in-house’ but are still different from or additional to the peer group
- Has achieved National Curriculum levels/Foundation Phase Outcomes substantially lower than expected
- Has ongoing communication issues
- Additional needs significant enough to warrant a diagnosis or referral to/involvement of external agencies or therapeutic services or CCBC specialist/advisory services.
I'm worried about my child being on the ALN Register!
Please don't worry. Every school has one. It's a way of ensuring your child gets the support they need. It's reviewed regularly and if your child makes sufficient progress, they will be removed. Also, it's confidential. It's not displayed anywhere. Only those involved in teaching your child have access to all the information on it. Please know that you can make an appointment to discuss your worries/concerns in the first instance with the class teacher at any time.
My child is receiving help - but isn't on the ALN Register?
Children don't have to be on the ALN register to receive support. We call some support strategies 'Early Intervention' or EI - that is, if we put some support in early enough, it will prevent your child from having to be entered on the ALN register.
My child is on the ALN Register, but doesn't seem to be having any support?
We target some children for 'in class support' with the class teaching assistant. Maybe your child doesn't realise they are having this support, as it's just part of their normal day! However, if you feel your child's needs are not appropriately supported/met, please make an appointment for a chat with their teacher.
Little Treasures Autism Charity - THE BOOK OF INFORMATION THAT NOBODY TELLS YOU ABOUT including advice on benefits
Please click the link below to view the booklet.