Welcome to Year 2
- Class Teacher: Mrs Wilcox
- Teaching Assistant: Mrs Patterson
Welcome to Year 2
Welcome to Year 2!
We hope that you all had a wonderful summer and we are really excited about teaching your children again and know we will have a fantastic year!
Lots of our learning for Autumn 1 will be based around the loose theme of Space. We will begin by writing simple poems about aliens and then focusing on basic skills sentence writing through the following texts; Beegu, The Way Back Home and Man on the Moon.
We will also be:
- recognising and representing numbers to 100 in different ways.
- reading and writing words and sentences with Set 1, 2 and 3 sounds in them.
- learning about famous first events in History such as: the moon landing, first phone etc.
- practising our drawing skills in Art.
- thinking about why the bible is important to Christians in RE.
- learning about what makes a friend and what makes a family in PSHE.
- learning about materials and their everyday uses in Science.
- developing our gymnastics skills in PE.
We will use Class Dojo to send out reminders and add anything we have been up to in class onto our story. Please check daily and feel free to message Miss McCartney with any queries and concerns! If you are not on Class Dojo please ask Miss McCartney for a login code.
We are very lucky to have lots of staff working with us in Year 2 this year. Mrs Patterson and Mrs Wright are our Teaching Assistants and Mr Littlefair will teach the children in P.E every Thursday.
Children will bring home reading books which are matched to their phonic level. Initially, these will be based on the last assessment the children completed in Y1 in March. We are currently undergoing RWI assessments with the children to identify their current reading level – once we have done this, books will then be matched to their current ability, so children may change levels within the next week or so.
Children MUST bring their reading book to school every day. We will read in class and children will be listened to reading their reading book at least once a week. Fluency in reading in Year 2 is a vital skill and reading in class daily, and at home, will make a huge difference to childrens reading ability.
When children have finished reading their reading book, please sign their reading record so we know to change it. We have no set days for changing reading books, they will be changed as and when the children need them changing.
- Homework will be sent out on Wednesdays and is due in on Mondays.
- Spellings will be sent out on Wednesdays and children will be tested on a Monday.
- Reading books will be changed whenever children need them changing – please send your childs book into school EVERYDAY.
- Our P.E. day is Thursday. Children should come to school in their PE kit. Please ensure that children have ear piercings covered on PE days and that hair is tied up.
Long Term Plans
The long term plan provides an overview of each year group’s curriculum by subject. The long term plans may alter slightly as the year progresses as we evaluate and refine our curriculum to ensure it best meets the needs of our children. If you would like more detailed information about a particular subject, please go to the Curriculum section of our website
In the autumn term children in year 2 will be developing knowledge of countries in the UK and their capital cities. To help develop this knowledge please access the following links:-