Subject Leader – Miss Fenn
Willington Primary School Maths Intent
At Willington Primary, we are on our ‘Mastery Journey’. This is to support a long-term, secure and adaptable approach to mathematics teaching and supporting learners to become resilient learners as well as working efficiently by making effective links between concepts and relationships. Teaching is supported by “The Big 5 Ideas” where teachers use coherence, representation and structure, mathematical thinking, fluency and both conceptual and procedural variation.
At Willington Primary we believe children learn best by having opportunities to revisit previous learning. Daily maths learning time includes the development of quick recall of number facts, an in-depth focused mastery lesson developing knowledge of concepts and procedures. Children complete ‘Arithmetic Practice’ session where children independently practise previously taught skills and knowledge to further develop fluency and efficiency.
At Willington Primary, the teaching of mathematics is underpinned by the following aims:
- To develop conceptual understanding by using models, pictorials and concrete resources so that children understand the mathematics that they are learning and are not just taught ‘tricks’.
- To highlight and utilize relationships between concepts and procedures.
- To encourage mathematical reasoning by following lines of enquiry, generalising and justifying using mathematical language.
- To apply mathematical understanding to problem solving by breaking down problems into simpler steps and persevering in seeking solutions using a range of strategies.
- To develop resilient children who are confident and enthused about mathematics
- To provide ‘purposeful maths’ through application of mathematical skills and knowledge to the world around them.
When it comes to times tables, speed AND accuracy are important – the more facts your child remembers, the easier it is for them to do harder calculations. At Willington Primary, we use Times Table Rock Stars- a fun and challenging programme designed to help pupils master the times tables. To be a Times Table Rock Star you need to answer any multiplication fact up to 12×12 in less than 3 seconds!
National Curriculum Year 1 Maths Expectations
National Curriculum Year 2 Maths Expectations
National Curriculum Year 3 Maths Expectations
National Curriculum Year 4 Maths Expectations
National Curriculum Year 5 Maths Expectations
National Curriculum Year 6 Maths Expectations