Welcome to Willington Primary School
We are delighted that your child will be joining Willington Primary School this coming September. On behalf of the Staff, Governors, children and parents, it gives me great pleasure to welcome you and your family to our school community.
Your child’s first experience of school is a very important one and we recognise that settling into school is a huge step for both you and your child. Due to the Coronavirus, our arrangements for new starters may be a little different. We will be contacting you over the Summer term (2021) to let you know about the arrangements. We hope to arrange some getting to know you sessions, which might include home visits or stay and play sessions at school. We will let you know term dates and when your child’s first day at school will be. We will be working very hard to ensure that your child has a settled and happy start to school life.
You are very welcome to contact us if you have any questions.
There is a great deal of information about Willington Primary School on our website, so we hope that you enjoy reading about daily life at our friendly and exciting school. Please also take a look at our Facebook page @willingtonprimary2326 where you will see photos and further information.
If your child is joining our Nursery or Reception Class, here are a few things that you can do at home to prepare them for starting school:
• Help them to recognise and write their own name
• Show them how to hold a pencil and draw a picture
• Read books with them and encourage them to hold the book and talk about the story
• Sing some nursery rhymes together
• Teach them to count up to ten and recognise the numbers
• Teach them how to use children’s scissors
• Encourage them to eat independently and clear their own plate
• Make sure that they can go to the toilet independently and wash their hands
• Show them how to put their own coat on and do up the buttons or zip