At Willington Primary School we are proud to have pupil representatives that take part in School Council meetings. These councils are in place so that pupils have a voice and are involved in decisions about the school that affect them. Through the School Council all pupils have the opportunity to raise issues, share ideas and take part in discussions that involve all of their classmates in reaching a democratic solution. Pupils at Willington Primary know that this is their school and their thoughts and ideas matter.
Our School Council 2020/21
We set out to find pupils to join our School Council. The Council is made up of 2 pupils from each class Year 2 – Year 6. Interested pupils had to prepare an application of why they would be the best candidate for the job. Year 5 presented their manifestos to their class. Year 6 pupils made speeches in which they spent time outlining their ideas for improvements to the school. All pupils did an amazing job. Each year group then went to the polling station to vote on which candidates would be best.
Welcome to our School Council 2020/21
What does the school council do?
The school council does a number of things:-
- The school council meets, with a teacher present – to discuss and sort out problems. These may include school lunches, playtimes or ideas for fundraising events.
- Members of the school council are responsible for carrying out the ideas that have been agreed such as planning a fundraising event, writing letters, or meeting with staff.
What jobs are there?
Each year, every class will normally elect 2 representatives to be members of the school council.
The council will then meet to elect officers to do special jobs such as:
- Chair (lead the meetings)
- Secretary (take notes about the meeting)
- Treasurer (look after school council money)
What makes a good school councillor?
You need the following strengths to be able to make the Council the best it can be:-
- Have good problem solving skills
- Confident speaking skills and excellent listening skills
- Enjoy teamwork
- Have an open mind to new ideas
- Be responsible
- Work hard to get things done